Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lent #5


Pay Amex

The nurse’s station formed a semi-circle around the private ICU rooms that contained life-saving equipment promising either recovery or an extended death. My father had been admitted two days prior to my 16th Birthday. It had been confirmed that he would need extensive surgery to remedy the problems with his heart. The “best” care was given and he was attached to every device possible. Blood would circulate from his lower extremities with the help of oscillating leg wraps and his breath would be given to him through a tube that cut off his ability to speak.

I had an older father. His ailments painted a backdrop of confusion and fear throughout my childhood. “It’s just my hay fever, “ my dad would explain when he needed a daily nap to recover from the limited activity that he had withstood. He was content to think that his lethargy was due to allergies in the same way he viewed his finances. As long as the bill collectors weren’t calling than everything was okay.

The morning of my sweet 16 I stood bedside holding an alphabet board trying to communicate with my father. He attempted to peck out a message and I would try to translate:
“You love us?” He responded with an emphatic negative shaking of his head.
“Happy Birthday?” Again, no.
“P.A.Y. Pay. A…M…E…X…Pay Amex? Pay Amex?” Vigorously he affirmed that we had finally gotten his message. In fact we had decoded his last earthly message. Four hours later he died.

My father’s last words were to pay a creditor. I am sure this sprung from a desire to keep the escalating interest charge wolves at bay and he possibly had no other resources to draw on to feel as though he was protecting his family. As his death sunk into my soul, I resolved that I would not leave this world in the same way.





No comments:

Post a Comment