Monday, November 25, 2013

Sam Clam’s Disco

Sam Clam’s Disco

Since I got back from Chicago, I’ve heard myself saying repeatedly that although I had fun in the windy city, I really prefer San Francisco. I started to reflect on why I have such a love for the city by the bay and I realized that it all started with a joke.

Early in mine and Rob’s relationship I found myself sitting in his room in that old, dank, frat house looking through his childhood pictures when he asked me if I wanted to hear a joke. Um, of course I wanted to hear a joke! Rob began to recite the longest, most convoluted story I had ever heard. I waited anxiously for the punch line, which never seemed to come. Then after about 10 minutes, Rob delivered the funniest finale to a joke (or at least I thought so), “I left my heart in Sam Clam’s Disco.” I erupted with laughter. He then stated that he would love to show me around San Francisco. He has fulfilled this promise many times over.

I often think of that sweet, barely 21 year old frat boy and think of that joke and giggle. The joke itself was a foreshadowing of our journey together: Meandering, intriguing, at times seemingly senseless, and funny and endlessly entertaining.

I am eternally thankful for our marriage and more importantly I wonder how I have been so blessed to end up with Rob. His ceaseless optimism and joy are contagious. Mellow, loving and accepting. Rob exudes the kind of love that makes others want to love more. Accepting of others, patient and hopeful. We have endured many of life’s difficulties during our marriage. Deaths, divorces, illnesses, financial loss, estrangements and heart wrenching confessions have been encountered with compassion and understanding.

Rob is a passionate father; from being a labor coach so he could get the first glimpse of our children as they came into the world, to walking fussy infants through the house when I couldn’t stand to nurse one more minute, to bed time books and back rubs, to cheering on the sidelines of a sports field. Through the wonderful and hard times he constantly encourages our children and me to be the best people we can be.


So, that is why I love Sam Clam’s Disco or rather San Francisco because I really didn’t leave my heart there, it is actually safely in the possession of my lover and friend Rob.


No comments:

Post a Comment