Thursday, November 28, 2013

To Fill Up a Suburban

To Fill Up a Suburban

When I was in high school I would watch the large Catholic families leave the school in the afternoon. The chaotic masses were loud and energetic, as they filed out of the doors into the awaiting Chevy Suburbans driven by mothers who looked haggard yet glowing with confident love for their children. I was smitten. My mind was made up. I would one day have a least four children and fill up a Suburban.

I kept this dream alive through college and when Rob and I were getting married I shared my long-held plan with him. “We’ll see,” was his simple response. When I was pregnant with our first child, I proclaimed that this was just the beginning because there would be three more little Lowe’s to come! To this proclamation, doubters would respond with, “Why don’t you start with one and see.” Little did these naysayers know that my life’s vision was solidly rooted. To me, more children meant more love.

After two kids, Rob and I knew we weren’t done. Someone was missing from our family. By this time Rob was fully on board with my breeding plan, so two more were added easily.

Over the years various comments have been made such as, “You already have two beautiful children. Why would you mess with perfection?” and “How are you going to fit everyone in your house?” To this my answers were, “There is no such thing as perfect.” and “Why do you need so much space? To not be near the ones you love?”

And love our kids I do. Each one is a wonderful individual who brings new meaning to my life everyday. Some days are hard but I could never imagine life without my litter of kids and for that I am grateful.

Oh, and I never got that Suburban but I certainly hope that in my minivan people can see my confident love through my haggard exterior.


No comments:

Post a Comment