Saturday, May 24, 2014

Spring Air

Spring Air
In the early mornings late in the spring, I roll my car windows down to enjoy the last of the cool air Phoenix will offer for a seemingly insufferable time. As I drive to the gym or to work the air blows through my car. My radio blares and I breathe. I imagine that God is providing this last sweetness as a measure of contentment, a promise of sorts that the summer heat will not have the final word. I love this time of year even though I know the end is coming. The looming of summer only makes my appreciation riper.   
There is certain alchemy of the spirit that occurs when an individual accepts that and ending has come. The initial turmoil that the finality of a situation brings is often a mix of numbness and denial that eventually leads to a tentative and at times fleeting acceptance. Perhaps my enjoyment of the final days of spring is a form of denial or perhaps it is an acceptance that all things end. Spring dies and our harsh desert summer enters, a purgatory of sorts. This is a time to retreat from the openness of God’s creation and roll up the windows. Silent incubation.
The Spirit takes her time and works.

The end mysteriously leading to rebirth and renewal. With the windows down. Just as God had promised.

1 comment:

  1. This is Cathy.... I need to roll my windows down more often... with deep gratitude for your holy words...

    ReplyDelete