Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Abundance #3

Abundance #3

Sometimes Mary doesn’t show up.

I had a rough meeting today. Not that this is totally out of the ordinary. I have grown accustomed to the daily possibility that things can go south in the types of emotionally charged meetings that I either lead or attend. Angry, sad or confused parents are common and so are school staff members who want clear, professional answers about students. I’ve learned to open myself to the fact that anything could happen: good, bad or otherwise.

I’ve learned to open myself up, take my time, breathe, relax and most importantly listen. The other thing I do is invite Mary into the space. Yes, as in the Mother of God or as I like to think of her the feminine divine. I notice a grounding when I do this and possibilities seem to present themselves where doors seemed closed before. This practice also helps me to remember there is something greater than our educational team sitting around that table and in a very real way I feel that I can more easily keep the students’ and families’ needs in mind.

Today, Mary didn’t show up.

As today’s meeting progressed not only was it hijacked by the largest ego in the room, the needs of the student were being pushed to the side. Inexperience, ignorance and a lack of professionalism took over. I attempted to regain control. I failed. I attempted to gently add meaningful input. It was blocked. All of my strategies failed and to make things worse I started to get mad. Then I knew I needed to sit back and breathe and focus on something good and positive.

I felt I needed to give up on Mary and hope for a rainbow and unicorn.

Then, I looked at the student’s mom. I realized that I had always liked her and I can tell she truly cares for her child. As the ill-advised participant was capitalizing the meeting, I focused on the mom and my angry, rapid heartbeat settled. I considered my word, “abundance” and mustered ways to manifest abundance right there and then. Self-love, compassion (even for the ill-advised one) and letting go of control swam through my mind. I smiled and thought about how this meeting was not about whether or not my professional knowledge was being recognized but rather it was about the child and her mother.

Mary showed up.



No comments:

Post a Comment