Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Jesus is My Driver and My 5 year Plan

Jesus is My Driver and My 5 year Plan

            I was at an auto parts shop today and saw a key chain depicting a fish mandala and the statement, “Jesus is my driver.” I smirked and took a picture. I had a vision in my mind of Jesus with his long flowing hair and robes as my Uber driver, shuttling me and Rob safely from drinking establishment to drinking establishment in a black Cadillac Escalade.  “Hey Jesus, how long have you been an Uber driver?” I imagined myself saying. In response His retort was, “A little over 2000 years.”

            We are vacationing where there is a beautiful stream that runs behind our cabin. We have made this a family tradition for many summers, as it is idyllic and relaxing. It was about 5 years ago that this setting served as a turning point for me. I was faced with family illness, personal financial loss and confrontation of demons that were long since repressed. Every year we have visited this spot since, has been a reminder of my crumbling and the beginning of an existential crisis that has taken me years to comb through.  

            This visit, the water from the creek seems to bring new beginnings. Life has come in waves or rather increments, parceled out of 5-year terms. I am at an end of a section of my life. I have moved from brokenness to at least intermittent wholeness and I am left wondering what the next 5 years will bring and how I might navigate them.

            I thought I might start with some personal goals. First off, I want to continue to dedicate myself to improving my leadership skills. Secondly, I will continue to seek the ever-elusive emotional equanimity. Thirdly, I would like to seek a deeper relationship with God so that I might better know my true self. Lastly, I will try to continue to kiss my demons, love others and myself and perhaps most importantly strive to be brave!

            I know these goals may never be met but I am hoping that with Jesus as my driver, the next 5 years won’t be anything to Him.

            What are your goals for the next 5-year parcel of your life?



             

            

No comments:

Post a Comment