Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Un-crumpling: Part 1

These posts are intended to inform, educate and hopefully help others. I have found my own sources of help that have led me to wholeness. My prayer is that other victims may find healing and wholeness as well.

I told my two older children. I never thought it would be possible but I told them. The words were so much easier this time. The heaviness wasn’t present. I didn’t feel as though I might throw up. Time and honesty had been a salve. I never thought it would be possible to utter the truth. I never thought my own children would be the best source of healing I could possibly wish for.

Five years had come and gone and here I was near the same creek I had been when my thoughts were swimming with dismay.  At the time I had wondered how I could end up being a seemingly successful professional and mother with such a dark secret. The pain of the truth burned in me. I didn’t feel I had a safe place to share my experience. I was so afraid. I was sure my abuser was right when he said, “I know you wouldn’t want anyone to think badly of you...”

I actually never thought I would declare myself to be a sexual abuse/incest survivor. I really wanted it to go away. I didn’t want it to be true. I didn’t want to be broken. I had worked so hard to escape my childhood. I had fought so hard against my past. Yet, I sat in my priest’s office. Rigid. Fearful. I finally broke loose with the truth. Anger to protect me.  Fuck him if he thinks badly of me!

Only sadness came; sadness for that little girl who didn’t know better, sadness for the adult woman who wanted so badly to be loved and accepted.

The love and acceptance came from my children.



No comments:

Post a Comment