Saturday, July 15, 2017

Day 14: Knockree to Roundwood

Day 14: Knockree to Roundwood

Today was the longest day of the walk. We ticked off just over 16 miles through mountains, forests and open plains. Three years ago I approached this leg of the journey with fear and uncertainty, this time I had some trepidation but was feeling relaxed and confident as we started out. I knew it would be a long day, I knew it would be difficult and I knew there was no way around it if I wanted to get to a meal and a bed waiting for us in Roundwood. 

I had promised myself that I would not rush this time, I made an intention to enjoy the day and not wish for it to be over and to be present to the experience moment by moment. I am happy to say I was for the most part able to follow through on this plan. However, I found myself at times estimating the hours or miles left to go. Then my thoughts would turn impatient and wanting the walk to end so I could shower and drink a Guinness. I realized when I started wishing the time away I might not ever be back in those mountains again and that this experience, even if repeated, would never look or feel the same. 

Looking back at my life to this point, I can think of so many times I wished the moments would just be over or that time would fast forward. I wonder if this is why most parents of older children talk about how raising kids, "just goes so fast" or why 25th high school reunions seem to be here before we know it. I look back and wonder how I could possibly have been married for 20 years. How much of life have I not paid attention to? What have I missed, if anything? Is this just the nature of life, over before we know it? What do I need to work on to be able to look back in 20, 30, 40 years and feel as though I was aware of my life and not wishing it away? 

Maybe I should remind myself there is no Guinness at the end of this life, or maybe there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment