Sunday, July 16, 2017

Day 15 Roundwood to Glendalough

Day 15: Roundwood to Glendalough

While walking in a group, as in life, there can be irritations. Conversations can be become dull, others might not keep your same pace, and fellow walkers might not be in the same space psychically that you are.  After a few days of walking, personalities can become stale and peoples' elevator speeches can become annoyingly redundant. In fact it is even possible to become sick of your own thoughts and the endless loop that our minds create. As frustrating as it might be at the time, it is all part of the pilgrimage experience. 

I didn't want the walk to end. My intention was to slow my pace, look around, take pictures and soak up the final day of the journey. I had walked this trail before and I knew it was relatively short. I knew we had plenty of time and that if I didn't slow down, I would regret it. Perhaps it was my own perception that the walk seemed hurried. Maybe in relation to the long previous day there was no way around feeling the quick pace of this leg of the trip. 

I made a point to create space from others knowing that I need time alone so that I may function slightly more optimally. I found myself needing time with my own thoughts and to be able to hear my owns ideas instead of those of the other pilgrims. Again, I did my best to create the space I felt I needed. 

No matter how much I slowed down or wished for the journey to continue, inevitably it had to come to a close. All things must eventually end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment