Friday, July 7, 2017

Days 5 & 6: Austin to Edinburgh

Days 5 & 6: Austin to Edinburgh



I often talk myself through worst case scenarios. And my thinking usually defaults to what terrible things could possibly happen and what my options might be if those things might actually occur. I have found that there is no better way to send me into this line of disastrous  thinking than to travel internationally, with multiple transfers while not having our children with us.
I managed to imagine all the ways our flight might be late causing us to miss our connector and if that didn't happen how we might manage, not if, but surely when, our luggage got lost. Upon arriving to Edinburgh none of these things had happened and in fact the trip was seamless. My jet lagged brain decided it was best to put aside this catastrophic thinking and to enjoy our walking tour of the city.
Once we sat down at a pub and I realized I had wifi, my anxiety sprang into action again. I checked on our younger kids. Their rapid responses along with their aunt assuring me they were having fun and behaving allowed me to assuage at least three quarters of my worry. Then I started to count the minutes since I texted Allison, our oldest. She wasn't responding. Surely she'd been in a terrible car accident or a victim of human trafficking! My children know I tend to worry excessively and are knowledgeable in the ways to calm their, "chicken mommy" a term used more for my ability to brood over my flock than any reference to my underlying fear about our children's well being. Nevertheless they know when a phone call will help to relieve all my concerns and that it did when I heard Allison's sleepy voice from half the world away. "Hey mom, what's up? I was sleeping." Of course she was sleeping, she's a teenager and it was early morning in Phoenix,
There was a traffic sign I saw yesterday that was the equivalent of our American, "yield" signs. It read, "Give Way." Perhaps the universe reminding me to let go, possibly relax more and not overthink things to death? Yes, perhaps yet I wonder what new tragedy is around the corner today.

No comments:

Post a Comment