Monday, July 3, 2017

Day 2: Ft. Stockton to Austin

Day 2: Ft. Stockton to Austin

It is my intention to keep a blog of our 2017 summer journey highlighting our days of pilgrimage. I hope our children find it interesting.   

There isn’t a whole lot to see while driving across west Texas and John and I kept occupied by listening to 70’s and 80’s playlists and the audio version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I was taken by John’s appreciation of Kenny Loggins (especially the theme song to Caddy Shack), seemingly anything by Journey and the classic funk of Stevie Wonder. John stated he would like to some day learn to play Superstition on the piano.

John’s interest in his summer reading project also impressed me. The Count of Mount Cristo is not an easy read, or for that matter easy to listen to, but somehow both John and I had gotten wrapped into the dramatic twists and turns of Edmond Dantès life and the book surprised us by throwing a little Napoleon in for good measure.

When we left Ft. Stockton, John and I were wondering to each other if that truly was the largest roadrunner in the world. Then he reminded me of another roadrunner, one we had seen yesterday in the parking lot of the Safeway in Willcox, AZ. I had forgotten but there had been a curious roadrunner that approached us as I was tending to John’s foot. The bird had come very close to the van and had examined us and then went on its way. As we started toward Austin, John said that he thought that roadrunner was God and served as protection for us.


I could only wonder and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment