Sunday, July 9, 2017

Day 8: Edinburgh to Aberdeen

                                            Day 8: Edinburgh to Aberdeen

It only took us half an hour to get on the correct route out of Edinburgh. It was Rob's first time driving on the, "wrong" side of the road and the helpful rental car agent apparently presumed we'd be smart enough to use the navigation system. As I struggled with a war room sized Scottish touring map, I'd occasionally glance up to see parked cars or curbs coming right toward me. All of my dreams of driving through the bucolic Scottish countryside were fading rapidly as I grabbed onto the seat and tensed my body with each passing mile and roundabout. After about an hour we decided to see if, "maybe" the navigation system worked. What a wonderful thing technology is and in about 30 minutes we arrived in St. Andrews.

St. Andrews was a surprise highlight. I had not researched this town except to look into a round of golf for Rob. So, we could not have been more pleased then when we pulled in and were met with a gorgeous beach and amazing views of historic church and castle relics. We spent the day exploring and even found a small, artisan jewelry store to buy our rings for our vow renewal.

Our day ended in Aberdeen in a wonderful Italian restaurant. I was so happy to be out of the big city and thanks to our navigation system genuinely looking forward to another couple of days driving in the countryside of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment